Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May Day!
The only flowers that would survive this snow are the fake ones. We really didn't get much snow, but it hasn't melted and will probably stay around for a day or two.

Yesterday my oldest daughter and her two boys came with me to marching the March of Dimes march for babies. The night before my daughter went to see a play a friend of her's and her daughter were in. So I got to have the boys for an evening! They fell asleep and stayed the night. I love it when the grand-kids can spend some time with me. When Phineas was told that we were going to the March of Dimes March for Babies, he got all excited, "We're going to get a baby?!!!" It had to be explained. He is adopted and knows it, and his family has fostered babies. Babies come from different places. The g-kids keep life interesting and keep me on my toes!

This past week has had some glorious weather. I even tilled up my garden. It'll need a few wheel barrows of horse manure tilled in yet, but the itch to dig in the dirt is  getting to me. Some days I'd like to have a greenhouse so I could grow tomatoes and other goodies year round. I do have a few small tomatoes setting on a plant I dug out of the garden last fall and have kept alive all winter growing in my living room. I have plenty of time to get my garden planned since winter seems to be hanging on. But the 80 acres is starting to green up!
Just poking through the ground.
My irises are getting bigger!
And now the ground is all snowy again.
Roy and Surprize

Molly walking the fence line with me

One of the sloughs on the 80. There was a pair of Blue Herons dabbling in the water here.

Another view of the slough

Some years this is all dry and grows very tall swamp grass

The horses have a large round bale of hay to eat at will. They prefer digging in the snow to find the tender shoots of new grass. I worry about too much fresh green at one time because they can founder on grass, but the horses are kept in small pastures. They'll be rotated to the next one when the grass has aged a little.

Spy Paulette's LadyHawk- (Polly) registered American Morgan Horse
You may have noticed that I now have 3 horses! Spy Paulette's LadyHawk is a half sister to Roy out of the same dam. Polly was born on my farm. When she was young I had to sell her to some friends- I turned down a higher offer just to keep her local. I had a verbal agreement to first refusal if they decided to sell her. My friend died and her husband sold Polly at auction unbeknownst to me. Those people sold her again and that new owner just recently had her listed in an auction catalog which one of my daughters happened to see. I went to the auction and bought her back and brought her home to stay. I'm very happy to have her home and she even remembers me. I have a certain whistle to whistle the horses up. Other people have tried to whistle the same tune, but they are ignored. Polly remembered my whistle! Roy and Surprize never learned that as they were always followers of the herd. But Polly is her mother all over again. This is the best Mother's Day present I could ever give myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment