Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I haven't been so good keeping up on this blogging thing. I've had my youngest grandson, 'Phineas' (grandchildren will have their names changed to protect them) with me for a couple of days and will have him for another day or two. We're having fun even though the weather isn't cooperating for going outside. I had planned on building a hitching post for the horses and planting some strawberries in my new garden.

I have a neighbor who is leasing some of my land in return for putting up my hay, keeping my driveway plowed out in the winter, and plowing my garden. Its a good deal for both of us since I don't have a vehicle to plow with or even haul a trailer to haul my hay. So he plowed and disked a garden spot for me that I have to rake and finish preparing for a garden. The strawberry plants are sitting in a cardboard box that is now totally drenched from the rain and needs attention. The rain also let me know that I have a leaky window in my house. I need to insulate under my home to lose less heat next winter so my gas bill won't be so high. I have more fencing to do. I just lost my job- no longer needed.

So my daughter brought Phineas over the other day and I crawled out of bed to tend to him. We fixed the  north pasture fence line that someone had taken clean off the corner post. Got it stretched and tight. Phineas found large rocks he could carry and put them in the fence line out of the pasture and plowed field. He wants a little hammer to be able to help me! That was a good start to getting me out of my slump. Now he's over here for 3 days, I'm finding I have more energy to do the things that need to be done. Like fill out job applications. I did follow-through calls for 2 jobs yesterday to find out they've been filled. There are a couple more jobs in the area to apply for. After that I may have to seriously think about relocating to an area where nurses are needed and get paid a little better. I would really not like to leave this area where my grandchildren- or most of them- live.

Last Saturday while I was being a lump in the house a friend drove in with his horse trailer and picked up my 2 horses to take to our horse club's annual Coggins Clinic and monthly trail ride. I went over to fill out the paperwork and write the check to the vet and ended up using a borrowed saddle and bridle and going on the trail ride with everyone else. I guess that made me realize that there is more to life than whats just in my backyard- I had FUN! And I wasn't sore the next day either. So now I really need to get the hitching post up and get my horse out on some trails in my own backyard! Maybe my oldest grandaughter can meet me and we can do a little riding together. I really do like my own backyard and have fun living here.

So the depression nearly snuck up on me, but I'm sidestepping it for now. Having a job and income does make life much easier when it comes to paying the bills and keeping the banker at bay, but for now I'll be ok. I'm looking for the next door to open and know there will be a new adventure out there for me to experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment